Patricia Campion, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Sociology, Director of Global Studies
Before joining Saint Leo University in 2009 as an Associate Professor of Sociology, Dr. Campion worked as a consultant in California with her company Pathways & Insights Associates, and was Assistant Professor of Sociology at Tennessee Technological University. Dr. Campion is the Chair of the Saint Leo Institutional Review Board, and the Director of the newly created Global Studies program. She also provides evaluation services to the local nonprofit organization Sunrise of Pasco County. A Jacob Javits fellow from 1998 to 2002, Dr. Campion is fluent in French, English and Spanish
- PhD in Sociology, minor in Geography - Louisiana State University
- M.A. in Sociology - Louisiana State University
- Diploma in Agricultural Engineering - Institut Supérieur Agricole de Beauvais, France
- Specialization Certificate in Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology - Catholic University of Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- Erasmus Student Exchange Program - Escuela Superior Técnica de Ingenieros Agrónomos y de Montes de Córdoba, Spain
- Global Studies Association
- Latin American Studies
- American Sociological Association
- Southern Sociological Society
- Nongovernmental organizations
- Latin America
- World-systems theory
- Introduction to Sociology
- Critical Social Issues in Globalization
- Medical Sociology
- Research Methods for the Social Sciences
- Senior Seminar in Sociology
- Global Social Change and Development
- Sociological Theory
Campion, Patricia. 2009. "Towards the Internationalization of Religious Capital?" Pp. 365-82 in Sociology in a Changing World: Challenges and Perspectives, edited by Gregory Katsas. Athens, Greece: ATINER.
Campion, Patricia. 2006. "Difficult Path to Democracy: The Political Differentiation of NGOs in Rural Mexico." Delaware Review of Latin American Studies 7(1). (http://www.udel.edu/LAS/Vol7-1Campion.html)
Prestley, Carol, Margaret Ngwira, Dina El Halaby, Maurice Long, Augustin Gaschignard, Emilija Banionyte, and Patricia Campion. 2006. "Gaining and Sustaining Access to Science Findings." Pp. 173-181 in Past, Present and Future of Research in the Information Society, edited by Wesley Shrum, Keith R. Benson, Wiebe E. Bijker, and Klaus Brunnstein. New York: Springer.
Campion, Patricia, and Wesley Shrum. 2004. "Gender and Science in Development: Women Scientists in Ghana, Kenya, and India." Science, Technology and Human Values 29(4):459-85.
Campion, Patricia. 2003. "One Under God? A Baptist Mission Ministering to Latino Immigrants in Southern Louisiana." Sociological Spectrum 23(2):279-301.
Campion, Patricia, and Wesley Shrum. 2002. "Environmental Attitudes of Scientists in Ghana, Kenya and Kerala: Evidence on NGOs and Traditional Research Sectors." Journal of Asian and African Studies 37(1):17-42.
Shrum, Wesley, and Patricia Campion. 2000. "Are Scientists in Developing Countries Isolated?" Science, Technology and Society 5:1-34