M.S.W. Advanced Standing Program
Saint Leo University MSW Advance Standing program starts in Summer and application deadline is February 15th.
You should use the following process if you are applying to the M.S.W. Advanced Standing Program. The M.S.W. degree is available as a one-year, full-time program for students who have completed a B.S.W. degree from a CSWE-accredited program within the last five years.
We base our admission decisions on consideration of several criteria, including motivation, maturity, work experience, and leadership qualities that are carefully considered, along with academic records and test scores. Each applicant is evaluated individually.
Admission to Saint Leo University is a simple, straightforward process. In order to become a degree-seeking student in one of our online graduate education programs, you will need to complete the following steps.
The Master of Social Work program offers residents physically living in the states of Florida, Georgia, and Virginia an innovative full-time online program.
To apply for enrollment in Saint Leo University's one-year, full-time Advanced Standing M.S.W. program:
- You must hold a bachelor's degree in social work (B.S.W.) from a CSWE-accredited social work program, complete within the last five years. You must have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.25, attained As and Bs in all junior- and senior-level social work courses, and be in good standing at the last institution attended.
- Fill out the online application.
- Submit a one-time $80 nonrefundable application fee.
- Submit a current resume.
- Submit three recommendations completed on forms you can download here. One of the letters must be from the B.S.W. field director/coordinator/liaison or program director, or the agency-based field supervisor where you completed your B.S.W. field internship.
- Submit a personal statement of 3-5 double spaced, typed pages addressing the following four questions:
- What are your specific professional goals? How would the Saint Leo University Master of Social Work Program, with its emphasis on advanced clinical practice, help you to achieve your goals?
- Please describe how you will complete the normal daytime work hours for internships.
- What particular personal strengths do you bring to the social work profession? What limitations do you perceive you have? How have both been demonstrated?
- What other personal or professional experiences or qualities do you see as aiding you in your goals?
- Submit a copy of the senior fieldwork evaluation from your undergraduate social work program. If the evaluation is no longer on file, submit a letter from the social work department describing the following: practicum setting, types of clientele and/or groups of clientele, duties performed, and final grade. If you have not entered your internship, submit the social work professional skills form completed by your employer or a B.S.W. social work faculty member who can attest to your generalist practice skills.
- Submit a Transcript Release Form for each regionally accredited college or university you attended or in which you were enrolled, even if you did not complete a full academic term. Submit your Transcript Release Form(s) directly to the Office of Graduate Admission. Graduates or former students of Saint Leo University do not need to submit transcripts if they have been previously submitted and are on file. Those who are in process of completing their undergraduate degree must complete all classes by June 30th. Download the Graduate Transcript Release Form.
- Complete and submit both the cohort registration form and the verification form.
- Complete a criminal background check. While past convictions do not necessarily preclude admission to the M.S.W. Program, they may affect availability of practicum placements and future employability. If you have ever been convicted of a felony or any crime that involved harm or the threat of harm to another person, please describe the circumstances that led to the court action, the year of conviction, and an explanation of your plans to cope with potential limitations on your practice of social work once you graduate from the M.S.W. program. Students are responsible for updating the M.S.W. Program on any convictions and/or criminal charges after they are admitted to the program. Students with felony convictions might not be eligible for licensure as an LCSW in the State of Florida.
- Participate in a personal interview and/or provide additional information as requested by the program's admission committee.
Send all these materials, at least 60 days before the beginning of the term in which you wish to enroll, directly to Saint Leo University at:
Saint Leo University
P.O. Box 6665
Saint Leo, Florida 33574-6665